Colico Molino Maufet
Real Time Weather Data
The Molino Maufet is located in the village of Villatico a Colico (LC), a few steps from the Sentiero del Viandante, along the route of the Antica Roggia Molinaria which originates in Fontanedo, the first settlement in the town, dating back to 1100. The Molino Maufet was born in this period and precisely with a small building visible upstream of the current historical complex. Even the Teresian Land Registry of 1718 gives traces of it thanks to a level contract, as "Site of Pila for Water Barley" owned by the Augustinian Friars of Gravedona, then taken over by the Sciucco family together with the mill used instead for grinding wheat and maize .
Traces of the milling complex also date back to the 800s, a date still evident today on the architrave at the entrance. With the initials "MA BM" followed by "FEB 1826" the Sciucco family ceased using the pile and continued the production activity with the mill. On the facade it is possible to admire the recovered fresco of S. Cristina di Bolsena, patroness of millers, celebrated on 24 July. The mill, active until the sixties and abandoned due to the death of the last millers, called "the Maufet" is now owned by the Bettiga family, the same ones that have been dealing with the restoration, enhancement and historical research for years.
It does not end here. The goal has never been just historical and cultural recovery: a mill is an extraordinary sustainable hydraulic work, capable of producing energy for itself and for others. Inspired by the European Resto Hydro project, the next step in the recovery plans to one day exploit all the energy potential of the mill.